METCALF MOVING BLOG
Are You Planning to Move this Fall? 4 Reasons to Start Downsizing Now
Are you planning to move this fall? If so, start downsizing and decluttering as soon as possible.
There are many reasons to downsize before your upcoming relocation. While scaling back your load is a lot of work, it’s also worthwhile. Below we’ve listed four reasons for you to get started downsizing as soon as possible. Here’s what you need to know.
1. Downsizing Takes Time
Downsizing can be a time-consuming process, and the more thorough you are, the more time it takes. This is because it’s a multi-step process, and each step takes time.
- Sorting. Downsizing starts with the process of sorting through your boxes and bins, closets, and dressers to find what you no longer need.
- Deciding. After the sorting process, you’ll need to determine what you want to do with everything you’re not keeping. You’ll also need to decide what to keep and not keep. For some people, this decision-making process is quick, and for others, it’s pretty slow.
- Eliminating. Once you’ve got some piles of things you don’t intend to keep, you’ll have to go through the process of removing them. For example, you might sell some of it, give some of it away, and toss the rest.
Some people can take years to reduce their belongings, especially if they live in a large house and have been there for a long time. Give yourself adequate time to scale down so you can do the job right by going through each room and closet, removing and getting rid of those things that you no longer need.
2. Soon You’ll Be Very Busy
Another reason to start downsizing as soon as possible is that the moving process can be very time-consuming. You’ll need to find household movers, start packing, find your new home, hook up utilities, potentially find a new job and school district for your children. You won’t have much time to think about downsizing once you get involved with the moving process. So get started now to avoid the time crunch!
3. Downsizing Can Save Money
In some cases, reducing your possessions and clutter saves lots of money. The more stuff you have to pack, the more you’ll spend on your upcoming relocation. If you can scale back and get rid of many things, you’ll save money on your moving fees. You may be able to fit your items in a smaller truck, and you’ll have to buy fewer packing materials.
4. Downsizing Reduces How Much Needs to Be Packed
Packing is a pain, and many people spend hours upon hours packing before a relocation. Trimming back your load allows you to reduce the time you spend packing, reducing stress, and making less work for you in the long run.
An added benefit is, with a lighter load, you will arrive at your new home with less stuff and an opportunity to start your new life in your new home more organized!
Moving Soon? Hire a Good Moving Company!
Downsizing is just one part of the moving process. Find a good moving company to help you with your upcoming relocation. To get started, contact us. We’ll estimate how much your relocation will cost and can schedule your move.