METCALF MOVING BLOG
Packing Tips from Metcalf Moving and Storage
For your move, you can pack as much or as little as you would like. We can pack everything, nothing, or just certain items. If you decide to pack yourself, here are some tips to make it go smoother.
- Start packing as soon as you find out you’re moving. It will sneak up on you!
- Plan how you will pack. Pack items first that you don’t use often.
- Never pack flammable items or non-allowable items.
- Use generous amounts of paper inside the carton on the top and bottom to provide good cushion.
- List contents and room on the outside of the carton. Be sure to mark the sides of the box since they will be stacked and the top will likely not be visible.
- Clearly mark “FRAGILE” on the outside of cartons that contain breakables.
- Use clean (unprinted) newsprint paper. Old newspapers may work, but use them carefully because the ink may rub off onto your items. Clean “newsprint” paper is available from us.
- Write “OPEN FIRST” on cartons containing essential items such as cooking utensils, toiletries, remote controls, etc.
- Separate breakables and non-breakables.
- Pack all cartons tightly. If all the space is not used, be sure to stuff packing paper into the voids so items can’t wiggle around too much.
- Use professional packing tape. Masking tape isn’t strong enough to support fully packed cartons, and duct tape does not stick well to cartons. Packing tape is available from us as well.
Click here for some how-to videos and other packing tips.